2017
I know this isn't a blog where I usually talk about these things (if not at all), but I just thought it'd be a nice addition for me personally to remember the stuff that I've...'consumed' (for lack of a better word) and actually really enjoyed . Plus I felt as though I saw a lot of really amazing anime, manga, music and books this year as well so I wanted to give them the recognition that they deserve, y'know ? So first, I'll start off with...

And here's the video if you don't feel like reading . ;)

Favourite Books

Magician, by Raymond E. Feist

Now this book took me I think, one or two years to finish ? That's because I only really read when I'm travelling, but that's probably like 4 travel trips worth of trying to finish this book (that's 7 plane rides guys, seven 8-hours or so plane rides) . To be honest it doesn't take me such a long time to finish a book and I usually finish them within the first 6 months of picking it up, but for some reason I really enjoyed reading this book regardless of how long I've put it down for (I tend to drop a book if it takes me a long time to read it) . Maybe how big it was put me off because I normally don't enjoy epic fantasy novels, but this was definitely well worth the read .

This book is similar to Lord of The Rings but without the Old English (because let's be honest, that stuff is incredibly difficult to understand) . Also because it has a very similar vibe to LOTR, there are some parts of the story that feel pretty familiar and not surprising . Still, the fact that the author keeps descriptions concise whilst packing the story full of action, makes it a fantastic read from start to finish . 

The Little Prince, by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the human eye .
Though this has been around for many years now, I stumbled upon this book in quite a funny way . At first I actually bought the Weekly diary of this since I thought the design was lovely . Then on the way back to Japan at the start of the year, I saw the movie on the plane and decided to watch it . Again, I absolutely loved the way the movie looked but was quite taken in by the story, and that's how I ended up reading the book . To be honest it almost feels like fate reading the book because it instantly became one of my favourite novels of all time . 

Though it's supposedly a children's novel, I love how it touches on the typical adult personalities and the nature of travelling, it's no wonder why it's popular in Japan . This book also struck a chord with me and it actually made me cry (the only other books I remember crying to was The Hunger Games and The Life of Pi) . It's a little and simple book, but its description of love and the human heart is something that I'll forever remember .
The image that first peaked my interest in The Little Prince (it's also the part where I cried in the book !)

Favourite Anime & Manga

Tokyo Ghoul: RE

In actuality, I've been following the Tokyo Ghoul series for quite a while, but I'm mentioning it now because in 2016 it reached its 5th year in publication which is why I wanted to give it a little shout out once again . The story lulls hear and there, but this year was definitely jam packed for the manga, especially since one of my absolutely favourite manga characters died . (*ugly wailing in the distance)

Even though it's technically categorised as a 'horror', the art is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever laid my eyes upon . Seriously . The way Ishida Sui-sensei draws is absolutely beyond me and if his art was a guy I would be absolutely in love with him . Art aside, I also like the story for the fact that everyone isn't 100% good or isn't 100% bad, and ultimately whichever side you choose isn't based on whether its because they're the good guy or the bad guy, but rather your opinion and what you'd stand for or against . 

Natsume Yuujinchou Go (Season 5 of Natsume Yuujinchou)

I actually didn't watch any of the previous seasons, but it's still pretty to easy to understand this season regardless . I decided to chuck this one in since I am a real big sucker for any anime that has a fantasy, and almost Studio Ghibli-like, element to it . The story is the pretty typical boy can see youkai (Japanese mythical ghosts and creatures) plot, but since these kinds of stories are far and few, I enjoy it a lot . The best way I can describe it is that it's a very calm but fantastical sort of story and anime .

I think this picture describes Natsume Yuujinchou pretty well lol.

Fukigen na Mononokean

Another boy meets youkai style plot line that's also very fantastical, but not so calm . I find the visuals really stunning despite the fact that I feel as though the anime production didn't strive to make this anime stand out from the other shows that were airing in its season which was a bit of a shame . I still really admire the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed watching this show and the overall story plot though . It's a very beautiful anime to watch, and I definitely recommend it for the Spirited Away fans out there .

Mob Psycho 100

From the author of One Punch Man, it's fascinating how a completely different story plot can be served in the same manner, if that makes sense . Mob Psycho also follows a comedy vein but goes into a much more complex story plot of camaraderie, emotions and the human nature of rivalry . If you're not into the deep dark story plots though you can just see this story as a comedy jam packed with action haha . 

Either way I think this is what makes this anime so great, because it can serve a wide variety of audiences (props to the author) . I actually like this anime much more that One Punch Man, but that's because I'm a very character relationships-driven story plot person . 

Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi (The town without me/ERASED)

"This anime is great but I feel like I need a soul cleansing every time I finish watching an episode, you get what I'm saying ?" -my brother .
Aired until the beginning of this year, I felt as though this anime produced waves in the anime world, and will probably be remembered alongside anime seasons like Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, y'know what I'm saying ? The story plot is just so good and to make it even better, you can just tell that the animation production really worked hard in doing the manga justice . The animation is almost cinematic in the way that it looks and the story plot is kind of like an anime thriller . 

Yes, the story plot can be a bit heavy for the heart at times, but I think that's why I like it so much - because it makes me feel so many things rather than expecting something to happen . I've watched and seen a lot of anime's in my time, so not much really surprises me these days and a lot of the time it feels kind of like a rinse and repeat . But Boku Dake Ga Inai Machi has a plot where you know what's going to happen but you don't know how it'll happen . Yes, this anime is not going to give you a good time, but if you're bored of the same old rinse and repeat, I definitely recommend this series to you . 

I saved the best for last haha .

Favourite Music

24K Magic, Bruno Mars

Throw some perm on your attitude, girl you gotta relax !
What really impressed me about this album was the fact that each song in this album is actually dedicated to one decade of R&B . I love that ! Like the fact that a music artist decided to put some good thought into the theming of their album is really cool, because it shows the thought that a music artist puts into their work (contrary to what many of us might think) . I love the fact that I catch myself bopping my head to the super catchy razzle dazzle songs, and find my inner heart belting it out to some other songs within the album . It reminds me of the times I loved listening to the likes of Mariah Carey and Michael Jackson, and I miss those fun-filled catchy beats . My favourite songs from this album has got to be 24K Magic and Perm .

Starboy, The Weeknd

Switch up my cup, I kill off any pain .
Another album that reminds of a melody I once used to love is The Weeknd's Starboy . Undoubtedly I've always liked a song of his here and there, but I found myself really digging the whole album this time . His (again, for lack of a better description) dope beats mixed with this 80's vibe here and there has got me really loving the album . Again, I hear influences of Michael Jackson at times, but there are other parts of the album that reminds me of 80's music that I really can't pin-point from where . Either way, the overall album is something I find myself listening to often . I really like Party Monster, Sidewalks, A Lonely Night, Secrets, and of course, Starboy .

(Young Forever) The Most Beautiful Moment In Life, BTS (방탄소년단)

Lonely lonely lonely whale, 이렇게 혼자 노래불러 .
This album holds a special place in my heart, since it was what dropped me back into the hell that is being part of a Korean idol fandom . Jokes aside though, I found it at a time in my life full of freedom, realisations and sacrifices . I travelled to songs such as Butterfly and Converse High, worked my butt off to songs like Dope, Fire and Bapsae, and eased my nerves to songs like Save Me and Whalien 52 . I stood to what must of been one of the most beautiful scenes I've ever laid my eyes upon, and shouted out the resolutions in my head listening to Young Forever . 

There were just so many songs in this album that sort of accompanied me in this wild ride that was 2016 and felt sort of like my companion or the title to parts of my life in 2016 . In an objective point of view this album provided a multitude of different songs to enjoy whether you like K-Pop or not, because of the diversity of genres it covers, though it's more on the pop and hip-hop side . But for me personally, this album holds a great part in my heart as a travel companion and an observer of life .

I Like It When You Sleep For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It (ILIWYSFYASBYSUOI), The 1975

Well your face has got a hold on me, but your brain is proper weird . Aren't you feeling the same ? You just keep nodding at me looking vacant .
You must be thinking, how could the previous album be topped by another one after what you said about it haha . Well first off this album actually came out on my birthday, and I've got to say it is one of the best birthday presents that I've ever received . :P Second of all, I really like the album progression of this and I think the progression of the album itself tells a story that is also familiar to me as well . To me BTS' album was a companion, whereas this album feels like my actual personal thoughts and experiences .

Originally I liked the first album because I felt like I could relate to it, and again I felt it with this album too . However this time around I like this album because it feels like they talk about past experiences in their current state of mind, in a different sort of light . Personally for me looking back on past experiences I also have a similar sort of testament . Songs like Love Me, Somebody Else, Loving Someone, She's American, Nana, Ugh!, The Sound, A Change Of Heart...yes, as weird as it sounds, a lot of the album struck a chord of my thoughts in recollection . Overall, one of the things that I liked the most about The 1975 was the fact that their songs are very personal (as in, it's a clear commentary on what happened and they really don't filter their thoughts), and that they also sing about family as well (I really like Nana) . I think family is an important part of someone's life and pop culture should also address it as well . Call me old fashioned but family should not be forgotten (in all the faults, failure, and immense love that encompasses the definition of family) .

At an objective standpoint though, the progression of the album almost feels as though each song is linked to the next one . There's also a great variety in this album as well, from the relaxingly spacious Please Be Naked to the 80's loving Somebody Else and Love Me .

Pick your poison lol .


And With That, I wish you all good tidings .

This year has been really great in pop culture (especially in music, like wowowee !), and it was pretty difficult to keep the list small in terms of anime and music . Even with the books haha . 0_0 But if anything I'm glad that it's been a good year for books, anime and music !

Anyways, I hope you've all had an absolutely awesome Christmas and I also hope your New Years was a blast as well ! Anything you agree or even disagree on in this post ? What are your favourite books, anime and music ? Let me know . :D



Signing out,


-THE TEACOAST .

0 comments: